Don’t miss these techniques to manage your time
To realize the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student who failed a grade.
To realize the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who gave birth to a premature baby.
To realize the value of ONE WEEK, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.
To realize the value of ONE HOUR, ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.
To realize the value of ONE MINUTE, ask a person who missed the train.
To realize the value of ONE SECOND, ask a person who just avoided an accident.
Read the above statements again and again so that it sinks down well in your mind. This is the most important thing to understand in life. Lot of us think that money and fame are the most important factors influencing our life. You can have loads of money and bundles of fame but that doesn’t mean that you are living a fulfilled life. You can revisit your life, go to those early days in your life where you were care free and really enjoyed your life to the core, with your friends, family and all those who were around you, without an ounce of worry. Did you have truck loads of money for yourself then?
If you think that money and materialistic pursuits give you the excitement and you are ready to go down to any level to get that, you many not be interested to read this article any further. This is for those who really want to “enjoy” life in all its beauty under all circumstances.
Do you know the primary reason behind tension, anxiety, restlessness and frustration? You may say that it is due to situations and conditions around you. But, I am going to ask you to think about a little more, speak to yourself and find out what causes them, the fights and quarrels that you pick with your spouse everyday morning when you rush to work, the intimidating shouts that you do over your phone with your loved one, the road rage that you pick up with an unknown person on the road on your way to the office…Why all these?
Let me open your eyes towards a very simple logic and it will really release you from lot of your troubles. It is not about your job, spouse, neighbor or boss, it is about a magical word called “TIME”. It is about hours, minutes and seconds that constitute your days, weeks and years.
Let me tell you another secret. The richest person on this earth and the poorest beggar have one thing in common and it is “TIME” and you are no different. God gifts all of us with 86,40o seconds everyday. It is what you do with this precious entity that determines the quality of your life. Time is gold and you cannot do everything all the time. You need to refresh and reprogram your mind. I will tell you how.
Here are a few very important things that you must start taking from now, if you really want to see this magic unwind in your life. I have done this and it has really helped me to shape up my life from the scratch. If I can do it, I absolutely have no doubt that each of you reading this will have any problems doing it.
- Analysis – Where does your time go? Have you ever wondered where all your money goes once you receive your pay check every month? You think that you have not spent on anything big, but again mid way through the month, you scrap everywhere to see how you can sustain over the entire month. The same is the case with time, it never stops and waits for you. It keeps ticking on and nobody in the world can control it. You can only adapt to it. Lets do this exercise and it is an interesting one. Starting tomorrow, you are going to divide your day into 24 slots consisting of 1 hour each. You need to write in a diary about what are the things that you do during each of these time slots. Continue this activity for 7 days and go through the results. You can see a pattern emerging..the time you wasted in chit chat, needless thoughts, gossips, unwanted talks and thoughts, wrong priorities and the list is endless. You have found your time thieves now and the next step is attacking them. How are you going to do it? Read on…
- Prioritize – The most important thing is that you need to prioritize your activities on the basis of how important they are to you. You can always wait to catch on with a movie rather than postponing a hospital visit, can’t you? Create an item list for every day and color code each activity based on the priority. For e.g High priority can be marked in red, medium in orange and low in green. Now, schedule all the high priority activities at the appropriate time and this leaves you the rest of the time to be utilized for medium and low priority activities. This is a very simple technique, but it has real power in it. You need to try it out to see the difference it can make in your life.
- Delegate – Don’t try to do everything by yourself and it is next to impossible. Accept the fact that others around are better doing certain things than you doing them. Learn the art of requesting others to do certain tasks for you either for free or for a fee.
- No Procrastination – One of the dangerous devils that can ruin your opportunities is procrastination. Golden eggs are easily missed if you fail to travel the mile to collect them. If you see an activity that is planned with priority, don’t miss it ever
- No Multitasking – You have only two hands and one mind. This means you can think clearly and focus on only one thing at a time. Don’t start five activities and leave all of them unfinished, rather start one, complete it and then move on to the next. You will really feel good and satisfied.
A sample weekly planner is given below. You can adjust it to your comfortable time range.
Take a printout of the following tips and keep it handy around you
Remember that time waits for no one.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift.
That’s why it’s called the present!